The most important thing to do is tell someone. Surrey Police take reports of hate crimes very seriously and are committed to reducing the harm that hate crime causes victims.
Some victims of hate crime may be reluctant to contact police for a number of reasons:
- Mistrust in or fear of the police
- Social or cultural barriers
- Fear of not being believed
- Not willing to waste police time on a matter that others might think as trivial
- Fear of reprisals or further incidents if they report the matter to the police
For those who do not wish to speak to the police, there are other agencies or organisations that victims of hate crime can turn to.